The energy efficiency interventions are all structural
ESCO ITALIA supports companies in implementing the Energy efficiency Projects.
An Energy Efficiency project can be defined as a project aimed at identifying the technical management interventions needed to render an asset (an installation, building, infrastructure, etc.) energetically more efficient with respect to a constructive project configuration (for technical/regulatory or behavioural updating or for more effectively adapting to the current or envisaged future use conditions).
The decision to proceed with the implementation of an energy efficiency project must be made following a general assessment of the property, subject of the intervention, on the basis of which it can reasonably be decided to intervene.
It is necessary to analyse a series of aspects concerning:
• the validity assessment of the property for use of the same
• the evaluation of possible alternatives
• the evaluation of the sustainability of the same in environmental terms, expected lifetime, forecast use time of the same and the activities to be carried out
• possible analysis of any increase in value
• other factors
An energy efficiency project consists of a multiplicity of technologies and skills as well as validation aspects that are not solely of the static type, but above all, of the dynamic type, determined by the behaviour of the asset over time, the use of the same and the external conditions that could influence its performance. The approach and search for energy saving methods in the use of the asset are usually based on the search for more suitable and better performing actions and technologies compared to the current configuration of the asset, and namely:
• which group of interventions is most appropriate
• which and how many technologies to adopt
It is necessary to be able to simulate a series of scenarios capable of helping to identify the technological efficiency compared to the expected volume of savings and the economic efficiency compared to the investments to be made.
An Energy Efficiency project can be defined as a project aimed at identifying the technical management interventions needed to render .........
ESCO ITALIA, in order to support its own customers in the management of the energy issues, that have never been so complex, has patented an exclusive management system of these activities called Esco Energy Management (EME).
Esco Energy Management (EME) is a service that enables any organization to monitor and manage its own energy cost and thus verify the possibility of obtaining greater revenues from the technical or regulatory opportunities.
This activity is preparatory to others such as energy audits, energy monitoring, and analysis and management of Energy Efficiency Securities.
EME is oriented in three directions:
1) Technical/economic optimization of the energy supplies
2) Implementation of an Efficient User System (EUS)
3) Activation of the Interruptability service.
1. Technical/economic optimization of the energy supplies
Knowing and managing one’s own energy bills can give immediate economic savings even with the same demand.
• Analysis of the energy supplies and their costs
• Analysis and monitoring of the energy markets through the main suppliers
• Analysis and updating of the regulations issued by the AEEGSI (Authority for electricity, gas and water supplies)
• Comparative analysis between status quo and the energy market analyses
• Indication of the possibility of accessing sourcing methods with more convenient rates and opportunities deriving from the regulating of the market.
2. Implementation of an Efficient User System (EUS)
Legislative Decree 115/2008 provides for exemption from the general system fees and distribution and transmission fees for a particular self-consumption system called the Efficient User System (EUS), in which one or more electricity producing plants with a total power not exceeding 20 MWe installed on the same site, powered by renewable sources or with high-yield cogeneration, are directly connected to the consumer unit of a single final customer and are created within a seamless area in the ownership or availability of the same.
• Comparison between the current configuration of the plant and that in EUS with an assessment of the benefits.
• Provision of the technical and administrative documentation.
• Uploading of the documentation on the GSE portal.
• Management of the files on the GSE portal.
3. Activation of the Interruptability service
The Interruptability is the final customer’s possibility of temporarily detaching the electrical load withdrawn from the mains for a specific energy quota.
Terna S.p.A. purchases this availability through the Dutch Auction procedures targeting all the final customers which have a total in situ energy of not less than 1MW.
The preparatory activities proposed by Esco Italia for obtaining the premium reserve as an interruptible customer are as follows:
• Verification of the technical and regulatory requirements and the economic opportunities.
• Identification of any causes of unsuitability.
• Design and implementation of technical updating interventions on the plants (this activity foresees the issuing of certificates by qualified agencies of the suitability of the plants for providing the interruptibility service).
• Drafting of the necessary documentation for participation in the Dutch Auctions.
Esco Energy Management (EME) is a service that enables any organization to monitor and manage its own energy cost and thus verify the possibility of o
ESCO ITALIA is specialized in the management and marketing of Energy Efficiency White Certificates(EES).
In Italy, the pursuit of the objective of increasing energy efficiency in the final users is governed by the Ministerial Decrees dated 20 July 2004.
They define the way in which multiple parties (to date the distributors of electricity and gas) are obliged to achieve increasing annual levels of energy savings, thereby introducing an Energy Efficiency White Certificates (EES) market.
The EES are tradable securities that certify the successful energy savings quantified in savings in TOEs (Ton Oil Equivalents).
The Energy Service Companies are empowered to lodge requests for obtaining EES with the Energy Services Operator (ESO) following the implementation (with the end users) of energy efficiency interventions. Once obtained, the EES, can be sold to set parties, either directly or through the Electricity Market Operator (GME).
If you are already carrying out or intend to carry out energy efficiency interventions in your organization or company, you can achieve a financial benefit with the EES through our service for requesting standardized, analytical or final projects.
ESCO ITALIA is specialized in the management and marketing of Energy Efficiency White Certifcates (EES).
ESCO ITALIA offers support to the Public Administration in setting up tenders and the related projects.
If your Municipality is interested in carrying out the interventions or verifying the possibility of an energy efficiency intervention, thanks to its know-how, Esco Italia can assist you with the following services:
• Energy efficiency interventions
• Energy audits
• Installation of plants powered by renewable sources and in cogeneration
• Consultancy on energy efficiency: support in determining the most appropriate operating methods in order to address the issues concerning energy efficiency, the Kyoto Protocol, and all related corporate activities
• Regulatory observatory
• Verification of compliance pursuant to Presidential Decree 207/2010
• Design and analysis of the environmental, economic and financial impact of the interventions
• Preparation of and participation in European, national and regional projects
• Identification of the financial solutions (Third Party Financing and Project Financing)
• SEAP (Sustainable Energy Action Plan)
• Consultancy in verifying the supply activities (compliance audits).
ESCO ITALIA offers support to the Public Administration in setting up tenders and the related projects.
ESCO ITALIA supports companies in structuring M&V monitoring systems according to the international performance measuring and verification protocol (IPMVP), by using measuring instruments and sensors calibrated and gauged according to the current technical standards, and by making a web platform available for their customers to ensure simplified viewing and processing of the acquired data.
Measurement and Verification (M&V) is the term given to the process for quantifying the savings deriving from the measurements (Energy Conservation Measure ECM)
Through the continuous measurement of all the relevant parameters (energy requirements, power, microclimatic and macroclimatic data, the presence of personnel, hours of operation, etc.), the monitoring allows for making the best decisions in terms of technical and economic efficacy and effectiveness, both during the design stage of the interventions and in the subsequent management stage of the same. The monitoring system plays an essential role during the implementation of the energy efficiency interventions, especially in industrial systems and production processes.
The monitoring activities comply with the principles established by the European Community, in particular with reference to:
• EC Communication 241/2008
• EC Communication 111/2009 and EC Recommendation 7604/2009 – Concerning the use of information and communication technologies for facilitating the transition to an efficient economy in terms of energy and low carbon emissions.
The ITCs (Information and Communication Technologies) allow for increasing the efficiency in the sectors with the greatest energy consumption thanks to the control and direct management of the consumption. It has recently been demonstrated that these types of technologies can be used to reduce energy consumption by 17% in buildings within the EU, and carbon emissions by as much as 27% in the transport logistics. It has also been estimated that the management conducted by the ITCs could allow for savings of just on 15% of the total carbon emissions by 2020.
ESCO ITALIA supports companies in structuring M&V monitoring systems according to the international performance measuring and verification.....
ESCO ITALIA is ready to support you in the energy audit procedure by offering availability of the professionalism of its experts, all UNI 11339 certified.
The energy audit, which is the main step for defining and planning the energy efficiency interventions, is a systematic procedure aimed at:
• providing adequate knowledge about the energy consumption profile of a building or group of buildings, an industrial activity or plant, or public or private services
• identifying and quantifying the energy savings opportunities from a cost-benefit point of view
• reporting the results.
The audit is scheduled according to these three steps, to be carried out in the following order:
• rationalization of the energy flows
• identification of energy efficient technologies
• the recovery of dispersed energy.
Legislative Decree 102/2014 for implementing the European Directive 2012/27/EU on energy efficiency:
• obliges large companies to have energy audits carried out by qualified experts (Esco, EGE) on the production sites located throughout the country, by 5 December of the n-th year (only if the status as large company has been verified in the years n-1 and n-2) and thereafter every four years; said obligation does not apply to large companies that have adopted management systems in compliance with the UNI CEI EN ISO 50001:2011 standards (in any case including an audit complying with Annex II of the Decree);
• obliges high-energy consumption companies to conduct energy audits by 5 December of the n-th year (but only if the company has benefited from the energy-intensive incentives in the years n-1 and n-2) irrespective of their size, and to progressively implement, in reasonable times, the efficiency interventions identified by the same audits, or alternatively, to adopt management systems in compliance with the UNI CEI EN ISO 50001:2011 standards;
• in the event of failure to conduct the energy audits, an administrative fine of up to €40,000 will be applied that does not exonerate the company from its obligation;
• the energy audits must be compliant with Annex II of Legislative Decree 102/2014, that is, they must be conducted according to the minimum criteria of the UNI CEI EN 16247 Technical Standards, Parts 1 to 4, to the ENEA Guidelines, and to the “Clarifications regarding energy audits in companies pursuant to Art. 8 of Legislative Decree 102/2014” of the Ministry of Economic Development (May 2015). In case of verifying any non-compliances an administrative fine of up to €20,000 will be applied;
• the person responsible for communicating the results of the audit is the Legal Representative of the company subject to the obligation.
A company is defined as large if it satisfies one of the following conditions:
• if the number of staff members exceeds 250;
• if the annual turnover exceeds 50 million euro and if the annual financial statement exceeds 43 million euro.
There are additional cases in which a company may be defined as large:
A company is large if 25% or more of its share capital or its voting rights is controlled directly or indirectly by one or more collective public bodies or public entities, either individually or jointly.
A company remains independent even if a share of between 25% and 50% is held by one or more of the following subjects provided they are not affiliated one to the other:
• public investment companies, venture capital companies and "business angels"
• universities or non-profit research centers
• autonomous local authorities with an annual financial statement of less than 10 million euro and less than 5,.000 inhabitants.
Associated companies are defined as those with a shareholding of between 25% and 50%. In order to verify whether a company associated with a Large Company is also a Large Company, the effective turnover and financial statement are calculated and added together with those of the Large Company in a share proportional to the percentage held.
Companies affiliated with Large Companies calculate the effective turnover and financial statement and add them together with those of the Large Company. Consequently, any affiliated company is automatically a Large Company.
High-energy consumption companies
In fact, with the Inter-ministerial Decree dated 5 April 2013, the Government has redefined the concept of a high-energy consumption company that will no longer be linked solely to the amount of energy consumed, as in the past, but also to the incidence on the energy costs on the turnover. In this way companies that were not able to obtain the already existing tax benefits, can now take advantage of the incentives, provided however that they enter within two parameters:
• having used at least 2.4 GWh of energy during the year under examination
• characterized by a difference of more than 2% between the effective energy cost and the invoiced cost
The companies affected by the provision are those catalogued with the ATECO codes of the manufacturing sector, while for the moment, the incentives will only be granted for medium to high voltage consumption.
The Authority for Energy and Gas must shortly take care of recalculating the general system expenses for the supply of electricity for these companies, with up to a maximum reduction of 60%. in order to avail of said reductions you just need to register ( if in possession of the above requirements) in a specific " High energy consumption companies" register.
If you would like the help of an expert in filling out the necessary documents to ensure the correct submission of the documentation for registering in the Register, we are at your complete disposition.
ESCO ITALIA is ready to support you in the energy audit procedure by offering availability of the professionalism of its experts, all UNI 11339 .....
ESCO ITALIA supports companies and the public administration in drawing up an EPC, Energy Performance Contract.
The Energy Performance Contract (EPC) is the agreement via which a “supplier” (normally an ESCO company) agrees to carry out a series of services and integrated interventions aimed at upgrading and improving the efficiency of an energy system belonging to another subject (beneficiary) against the payment of a fee obtained from the energy savings generated.
By signing the EPC the “Esco supplier” and the beneficiary client enter into a contractual relationship in which Esco pays the costs of the investments to be made in advance or assumes the obligation of obtaining funding from third parties (normally banks).
Normally linked to the EPC are all those agreements of an instrumental nature which the supplier will sign in relation to the performance of the project and aimed at providing specific guarantees that may be required by the contract.
The purpose of the contract therefore substantially consists of the identification, design and implementation of an energy efficiency level referring to a given plant or building, such that it allows for making savings on the client’s energy bills.
This contract offers multiple advantages:
• The client does not use its own economic resources in the initial investment
• There are no financial risks for the client
• There are immediate economic advantages for the client in terms of a reduction in consumption
• There are energy savings completely in favour of the client at the end of the amortization plan
• Immediate technological innovation.
The Energy Performance Contract (EPC) is the agreement via which a “supplier” (normally an ESCO company) agrees .......
ESCO ITALIA supports the identification of European, national and regional funding calls, as well as the submission of bids to the competent authorities and subsequent management of the same.
The instrument that acts as the real driving force for the development of the entire energy efficiency sector, is Third Party Financing, already provided for in Directive 93/76/EC and reiterated in Directive 2006/32/EC and the Action Plan for Energy Efficiency, as well as being included in numerous regional energy plans. According to this instrument, Esco, which can be the third party, carries out the intervention thanks to the resources loaned by the bank, and comes to an agreement with the end user (which does not pay anything) regarding how much of the economic savings should serve as repayment of the investment, in this way defining the reimbursement plan. At the end of the reimbursement period, the end user becomes the owner of the intervention and can exploit to the full the savings deriving from the same.
ESCO ITALIA supports the identification of:
• public guarantee funds that can facilitate the obtaining of a bank loan
• private and/or bank funding
• European, national and regional funding.
The instrument that acts as the real driving force for the development of the entire energy efficiency sector, is Third Party Financing.....
ESCO ITALIA supports the public administration and private subjects in accessing the Thermal Account, in implementing the energy audits, and designing and implementing the interventions.
Ministerial Decree dated 16/02/2016, named "Renewable Energy for Heating & Cooling Support Scheme" supports energy efficiency small-scale measures on the base of their type and size. The statement allows efficiency measures properly divide in two categories: the first relates to efficiency , the other strictly relies on heating production from renewable.
The incentive framework sets the following type of operations:
1. Energy Efficiency increase
• Windows' replacement and solar shield installation
• Building Automation System Implementation
• Near Zero Energy Building setting
• Substitution of air conditioning current technologies in favor of more efficient ones
• Renewal of lighting system
2. Heating production from renewable resources:
• Solar panel, even in addition to solar cooling in order to improve productive processes
• Air conditioning system renewal in favor of efficient technologies ( heat pumps, biomass generators to climate greenhouses)
Gestore dei Servizi Energetici (GSE) is the public entity in charge of assessing energy saves, and managing the complete financial incentive awarding process.
• Public Administration entities ( both types of categories)
• Private subjects ( legal persons, apartment block owners, holders of a business income or income from farming)- strictly admitted to operations at n°2
Ministerial Decree dated 16/02/2016, called the “Thermal Account”, incentives energy efficiency measures on the base of their type and size
ESCO ITALIA is a natural interlocutor which the Public Administration can contact for implementing the SAEP and the subsequent energy efficiency interventions.
SAEP is the principal European movement involving the local and regional authorities engaged in increasing energy efficiency and using renewable energy sources in their territories.
It was promoted by the European Commission to actively encourage European cities to take actions aimed energy and environmental sustainability. Launched by the European Commission on 29 January 2008, the objectives of a SAEP are as follows:
• Clean mobility
• Energy requalification of public and private buildings
• Raising public awareness with regard to energy consumption
The target sectors included in the SAEP are the public (municipal), services, residential, transport, and waste management.
ESCO ITALIA is a natural interlocutor which the Public Administration can contact for implementing the SAEP and the subsequent energy efficiency inter
ESCO ITALIA supports companies in adopting an Energy Management System.
The UNI CEI EN ISO 50001:2011 standard: Energy Management Systems-Requirements and guidelines for use, allow for optimizing, with an ongoing improvement process, the energy utilization including energy efficiency, as well as the consumption and use of energy.
This standard specifies the requirements for creating, starting up, maintaining and improving an energy management system.
The ISO 50001 process actively contributes to the reduction of energy consumption and cuts costs, resulting in an increase in profitability and the acquisition of an important competitive advantage.
The UNI CEI EN ISO 50001:2011 standard: Energy Management Systems-Requirements and guidelines for use, allow for optimizing......
In collaboration with its scientific Partners such as some of the main Italian universities, ESCO ITALIA develops training courses and information seminars targeting a variety of different subjects.
The climate emergency, the energy crisis, and the use of fossil fuels are by now the items on every agenda. The constraints imposed by the Kyoto Protocol and as a result, the European energy policy, which Italy is taking steps to comply with, require that everyone rapidly pass from words to facts.
In order to be efficacious, every strategy of change must be accompanied by an adequate growth of awareness and knowledge by all those who are required to put it into practice.
That’s why an essential part of our activity focuses on offering the market training courses and information processes regarding all the issues relating to energy efficiency, renewable energy and environmental sustainability.
In collaboration with its scientific Partners such as some of the main Italian universities, ESCO ITALIA develops training courses and information sem